Current known limitations and workarounds
The VoiceThread Mobile App has many optimizations, updates and improvements to come! Until then, here's a list of some known limitations and how to work with them:
- Video commenting is limited
- Doodles always fade
- K-12 students must enter full email addresses
- Sharing is limited to email
- Limited simultaneous image uploading
Video commenting is limited
Currently, a video on a slide cannot be played while someone is commenting. However, the video image present. Commenting can still be done on a video slide, but only without the video actually playing. Enabling true video commenting in the App is on our list for future updates. In the mean time, we recommend using the fantastic video-commenting function that is available on the web interface at VoiceThread.com.
Doodles always fade
Currently, it is only possible to "freeze" your doodles in the web application. This is on our list for future updates.
K-12 students must enter full email addresses
If your students use fictitious VoiceThread email addresses to sign into VoiceThread, they will need to enter the full email address rather than just a username. For example, if your student's email address is email@example.com, the student can sign in with just student when using a web browser. In the App, they will need to enter the full fictitious address.
Sharing is limited to email
It's true that VoiceThread Mobile 1.0 will only allow you to share via email or an application that allows posting via email. We will be adding sharing options in future updates, but there is one more way to share a VoiceThread without leaving your mobile device: grab the url and paste it anywhere. Here's how:
- In the Overview area for the VoiceThread, select "Share" by touching the envelope icon.
- Send the message to the email address attached to your device.
- Open your inbox on your device to retrieve the message you just sent
- Touch and hold your finger on the blue title of the VoiceThread at the top of the message body until the action options appear.
- Select Copy
- You can now open an application for sharing, and paste the link to your VoiceThread into a Twitter post, Facebook, mobile web page, etc.
Limited simultaneous image uploads
The number of images that you can currently upload via the VoiceThread Mobile App is affected by your current network speed as well as the available memory for your device (see "Force quitting apps" for more details). We recommend that you upload one or two images at a time for consistent success. As soon as you have finished uploading an image, you'll be able to touch the (+) button again to add more - again and again.